Sodium Metabisulfite is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula Na2S2O5. It is known by other names such as Sodium Pyrosulfite and Sodium disulfite.
Sodium metabisulfite is white – yellowish solid in colour. It possess faintly pungent smell. It is moderately soluble in water. The density is around 1.48 g/ml. It is highly soluble in glycerol.
CAS number : 7681 – 57 – 4
Chemical Formula : Na2S2O5
Molecular Weight : 190.10 g/ml
Packaging : 25/50 kg bags, HDPE bags with polyliner inside
Storage : Tightly closed containers
Uses and Applications
- Widely used in Food and Beverages’ preservation
- Used as an excipient to medications related to Adrenaline. It prevents oxidation of Adrenaline.
- Also used as an excipient in tablets such as paracetamol
- Used in photography
- Used in water treatment to quench chlorine residual
- Used as bleaching agent in the production of coconut cream